Friday, May 26, 2006

 

How could I have missed that strip tease?

I don’t know if I’ve been slacking on keeping up with this news in the feminist blogosphere, or if I am just a nerd for rarely watching TV and not keeping tabs on how the latest notions of beauty in popular culture are destroying the world one self mutilating woman at a time-- but tonight I was watching the Showbiz Show with David Spade and I was appalled. Apparently stripping is the new yoga?

What the—

Apparently, Sheila Kelly (I have no idea who she is, which is probably why I am so behind on being enraged about this trend) started the trend of stripping being the new fad exercise regimen. Carmen Electra is in on it too. You know, like Madonna and yoga. Women are now taking stripping classes and saying not only is it a good work out but it is EMPOWERING?

No, stripping is not empowering—in this sense. I have no idea what climbing a pole does for your abs and thighs and I’m sure it’s great. Learning the motions of shoving your vagina in someone’s face can’t possibly be necessary for a work out. Now, I know there are exercises women do with their vaginas, like kegels and such. But we don’t call it stripping. I’m sure there are ways to climb poles and stick your ass in the air without wearing a G-string and high heels. Furthermore, trying to turn men on is never a necessary part of physical health.

Will someone please explain to me how this work out actually pans out when women claim to be exercising? How important is the part where they try do things that would make men have an erection?

The part I find most upsetting is that women are claiming this to be empowering. I don’t think you have to be a radical feminist to see the flaws in that logic. What makes this more empowering than Pilates? If women are in control of their bodies, fine. If women have their best interests in mind, fine. If this is a choice, fine. However, I think there are serious reasons to doubt that women who pursue stripping as a workout may be doing it for purely health reasons.

I get in some tricky water here because I am questioning the empowering factors of an activity that is meant to make men want to have sex with you. I don’t want to risk anyone thinking that I am making the assumption that women who are strippers can’t be empowered women, or that empowerment cannot be found in stripping. I’m not. But honestly, there is a problem here and some diligent investigation and discourse is necessary. This fad is indicative of a larger problem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/448437.html

Perhaps you should take a look at this, regarding the Duke rape case.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home